FUJIFILM X-T4 Body Only Overview
Addressing the needs of multimedia image-makers, the silver FUJIFILM X-T4 is a versatile mirrorless camera that blends advanced stills and video capabilities along with enhanced workflow and assistive functionality. Utilizing a proven and well-regarded APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, the X-T4 is capable of high-resolution recording along with support for DCI/UHD 4K video at 60 fps, Full HD recording up to 240 fps, sensitivity from ISO 160-12800, and continuous shooting up to 15 fps with the mechanical shutter. The BSI design of the sensor affords reduced noise and greater overall clarity and is paired with the X-Processor 4 to achieve fast performance and improved responsiveness. The sensor’s design also enables a hybrid autofocus system that combines 425 phase-detection points with a contrast-detection system for quick and accurate AF performance. Additionally, complementing all aspects of image production, the X-T4 also incorporates a 6.5 stop-effective sensor-shift image stabilization system to reduce the appearance of camera shake with almost any mounted lens.
Beyond the sensor and processor capabilities, FUJIFILM’s cameras are also beloved for their physical design, and the X-T4 has an updated design for improved handling and shooting efficiency. A large, bright 3.69m-dot electronic viewfinder can be set to a 100 fps refresh rate for notable smoothness when panning or tracking subjects. Conversely, the rear 3.0″ 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD now features a vari-angle design to suit working from high, low, and front-facing angles; or it can be closed against the body if just working with the EVF. Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots offer file-saving flexibility and the X-T4 supports the updated, high capacity NP-W235 battery that provides approximately 600 shots per charge. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enables wireless remote camera control and image sharing to a mobile device.
26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor and X-Processor 4
Revolving around a highly versatile sensor, the X-T4 features an APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, which has a back-illuminated design to afford smooth tonal rendering, improved low-light performance, and a wide native sensitivity range of ISO 160-12800. As an X-Trans sensor, it utilizes a randomized pixel array, too, which provides a high degree of image quality and sharpness due to the omission of an optical low-pass filter. Versus conventional pixel patterns, the X-Trans design more closely mimics the organic nature of film in order to produce nuanced colors and tonal transitions, while also reducing moiré and aliasing.
The sensor’s design also includes an expanded phase-detection autofocus system, which has 425 selectable points that cover nearly the entire sensor area. This AF system delivers faster, more accurate focusing performance in a variety of lighting conditions down to -6 EV. Complementing the imaging and focusing capabilities, an updated X-Processor 4 is also featured, which has a quad-core CPU, and delivers faster, more responsive performance throughout the camera system, including a full-resolution 15 fps shooting rate with the mechanical shutter, 20 fps rate with an electronic shutter, or a 30 fps rate with an electronic shutter and a 1.25x crop.
In-Body Image Stabilization
UHD and DCI 4K Video Recording
Expanding its capabilities beyond stills, the X-T4 offers a versatile array of video capabilities, including internal DCI/UHD 4K recording at up to 60 fps and Full HD recording up to 240 fps for ultra slow-motion playback. Greatly benefitting overall video performance, the speed of the X-Processor 4 enables fast read speeds when recording video and helps to reduce rolling shutter distortion when filming moving subjects. Also, a micro-HDMI port enables 10-bit 4:2:2 recording to an optional external recorder.
In addition to the supported 10-bit color depth, the X-T4 also includes the F-Log gamma setting, which provides a flat picture for use in advanced color grading software during editing. This maximizes the potential dynamic range in difficult scenes and image adjustments can be made, as well, to highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness.
Also, the camera features a 3.5mm microphone jack and 2.5mm remote port with included headphone adapter for more advanced audio solutions.
- Bright, high-resolution 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has a 0.75x magnification and the EVF’s refresh rate can be pushed to 100 fps to reduce lag for smoother panning and tracking movements.
- Vari-angle 3.0″ 1.62m-dot LCD has a touchscreen design for intuitive operation and playback, and the articulating design greatly benefits working from high and low shooting angles. This vari-angle design also means you can close the screen against the camera body, hiding it from view for distraction-free shooting.
- The top plate incorporates a series of locking dials and levers for fast, intuitive control over exposure settings, including dedicated shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation dials that offer direct settings adjustment, even when the camera is off. This exposure compensation dial also has a C position to afford an expanded +/- 5 EV range when working with the command dials.
- Front and rear command dials integrate a push function for easier use and settings selection.
- Rear joystick is available for intuitive selecting and switching of AF points as well as menu navigation and image playback.
- Redeveloped mechanical shutter has improved durability and is rated for 300,000 actuations.
- Integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wirelessly sharing images to a mobile device or to use the device to remotely control the camera.
- Dual SD memory card slots both support up to the UHS-II standard for fast and flexible file storage.
- Included NP-W235 battery provides approximately 600 frames per charge when working with the EVF.
Film Simulation Modes
- Taking advantage of FUJIFILM’s vast history in traditional film-based photography, the X-T4 integrates several Film Simulation modes, which mimic the look and feel of some of FUJIFILM’s classic film types:
- Provia: The standard contrast and normal saturation color transparency film
- Velvia: High contrast, high color saturation, and vivid color transparency film
- Astia: Subdued contrast and color saturation with a look that is ideal for portraits
- Classic Chrome: Delivers muted tones and deep color reproduction, similar to a dated slide film
- Classic Neg: Muted contrast but vibrant colors with a vintage filmic feel
- PRO Neg: Available with both Hi and Std. contrast options, this mimics the punchy-but-natural feeling of their professional-grade color negative film
- Eterna: For a cinematic look, this provides a flat color, low saturation look well-suited to post-production color grading
- Eterna Bleach Bypass: Refines the standard Eterna look with a higher key, higher contrast feeling while maintaining the overall desaturated look
- Acros: Based on the popular B&W film, this monochrome mode has a distinct tonality and graininess and can be used along with Yellow, Red, and Green contrast filter effects
- B&W: Straightforward and classic black and white effect with Yellow, Red, and Green contrast filter options
- Sepia: Everyone’s favorite old-timey look mimicking the popular alternative process
In addition to simulating specific film types, a Grain Effect mode is also available to replicate the look of old film photos with an organic textured appearance, which is especially noticeable when printing. Color Chrome and Color Chrome Blue effects are also available to deepen color, tonal response, and gradation with higher saturation colors.
XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS Lens
FUJIFILM XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Overview
A telephoto zoom designed for use in trying conditions, the FUJIFILM XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR is a weather-sealed lens spanning the popular 76-213mm equivalent focal length range and featuring a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture. Built for FUJIFILM X-mount mirrorless digital cameras, this fast zoom further distinguishes itself with a sophisticated design, highly effective optical image stabilization system, and a Triple Linear Motor AF system for refined focusing performance.
In regards to the optical design, this lens incorporates five extra-low dispersion elements and one Super ED element, which reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for increased clarity and color accuracy. Additionally, a Nano-GI coating has also been applied to elements to alter the refractive index between elements, to minimize surface reflections, and to prevent lens flare and ghosting. Additionally a rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when working with selective focus techniques.
- Flexible telephoto zoom is designed for APS-C-format Fujifilm X-mount mirrorless cameras and offers a 76-213mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and excels when working in difficult lighting conditions.
- Five extra-low dispersion elements and one Super ED element are used to greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce high clarity and color fidelity throughout the zoom range.
- Nano-GI (Gradient Index) coating has been applied to lens elements and alters the refractive index between the glass and air in order to better suppress lens flare and ghosting for diagonal incident light.
- An HT-EBC (High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating) coating has been applied to the entire surface of each element for controlling ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color accuracy.
- A Triple Linear Motor autofocus system delivers smooth, near-silent performance that is especially beneficial to video applications and when working in noise-sensitive areas.
- Complemented by an enhanced gyro sensor and unique series of algorithms, the optical stabilization system minimizes the appearance of camera shake to enable sharper imaging when working with longer focal lengths or slower shutter speeds.
- The lens body incorporates 20 distinct weather seals to protect against dust and moisture, and to enable worry-free use in inclement conditions and freezing temperatures as low as 14°F.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contribute to a pleasing out-of-focus quality to benefit the use of selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- A tripod collar is included for well-balanced mounting and shooting when working from a tripod or monopod.
- Compatible with optional XF 1.4x TC WR and XF 2x TC WR teleconverters.