FUJIFILM XF 56mm f/1.2 R APD Overview
Designed for the bokeh enthusiast, the FUJIFILM XF 56mm f/1.2 R APD features a unique optical design, flattering portrait-length field of view, and an especially fast f/1.2 maximum aperture. Differentiating itself from FUJIFILM’s other XF 56mm f/1.2 lens, this APD version incorporates an apodization filter to produce an aesthetically-pleasing out-of-focus quality to suit selective focus applications.
Complementing the unique bokeh-related attributes of the lens is an equally sophisticated optical design, which features both aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements to help reduce a variety of aberrations, color fringing, and distortion. A Super EBC coating is used, too, to reduce flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy in bright and backlit conditions. Additionally, this lens also features an internal focusing mechanism for quick focusing performance along with a rounded seven-blade diaphragm to further contribute to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Prime portrait-length lens is designed for APS-C-format Fujifilm X-mount mirrorless cameras and provides an 85mm equivalent focal length.
- Especially bright f/1.2 maximum aperture excels in low-light conditions and also offers notable control over depth of field for using selective focus techniques.
- Signified by the APD designation, this lens incorporates an apodization filter in order to produce controllable and aesthetically-pleasing bokeh, which is characterized by sharp main subjects, tremendously blurred background, and an overall three-dimensional quality.
- Since the apodization filter performs best at wider aperture values, a 3-stop ND filter is built into the lens to aid in controlling exposure. Using two separate sets of aperture values, the red series of numbers indicates the effective aperture value as it relates to depth of field. The standard white set of numbers indicates the actual f/stop number, and the difference between these two sets of numbers indicates the effectiveness of the filter.
- One double-sided aspherical element limits distortion and spherical aberration in order to realize greater sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to provide greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Super EBC coating has been applied to individual elements to reduce lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Internal focusing design affords fast and quiet autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video applications.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out-of-focus quality to benefit the use of selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.